Take time to focus on the importance of sleep and how it affects your daily well-being. Here are some tips to create new habits, practices, and routines that can help improve your sleep quality and overall health.
- No phone or tv in the bedroom – this may be a tough habit to break, but studies show that bright screens trick your brain into thinking it’s still daytime and your body doesn’t create sleep inducing substances that your brain needs to “turn off”. If removing these items completely isn’t an option, be sure to eliminate screen time to an hour minimum before bedtime.
- Eat Dinner Earlier – It can be harder to fall asleep if your body is still digesting a big meal. To keep food-based sleep disruptions to a minimum, try to avoid late dinners and minimize especially fatty or spicy foods. If you need an evening snack, opt for something light and healthy, and try to refrain from anything 1-2 hours before lights out.
- Keep your bedroom cool (cooling bedding can help too) – When it comes to sleeping, cooler is better. Your body naturally cools down while resting, so cooling your body at bedtime will signal to your brain that it’s time to sleep. In addition to adjusting the thermostat, try incorporating some cooling bedding to help with your nighttime comfort. Luxome offers Cooling Weighted Blankets and Premium Bamboo Sheets for ultimate temperature-regulated zzz’s.
- Relax & clear your mind before sleep – Relaxation techniques before bed have been shown to improve sleep quality and are another common technique used to treat insomnia. Whether you choose listening to relaxing music, reading a book, taking a hot bath, meditating, stretching or deep breathing – find what works best for you.
- Find a comfortable bed, mattress and pillow – Often underestimated, these items can drastically affect your sleep quality. Adjustable mattresses and pillows are the Luxome Team’s favorites, like our LAYR Customizable Pillow, which allows you to completely adjust the pillow’s height and firmness for the exact comfort and support your body needs.